All of this heat has made me wish for snow! How fun to check out a “Christmas in July ” event at House by JSD Designs. They will be having their holiday open house this weekend. Their fabulous shop will definitely get you into the holiday spirit! Get inspired to decorate your home for the holidays and snag great deals on Christmas gifts for your family and friends.
House by JSD Designs
Holiday Open House Thursday, July 28-Saturday, July 30
1535 Delaware Avenue
Lexington, KY 40505
Housewarmings outdoor furniture sale begins today (7/28) and runs through Sunday, July 31. This is a great time to purchase furniture and accessories for your outdoor spaces at a fraction of the cost. We have plenty of beautiful weather left in the bluegrass this year to enjoy your purchases!
2312 Palumbo Drive
Lexington, KY 40509
Open Mon-Sat 10am-6pm
What a neat way to display potpourri! Having purchased a new house this week and looking very forward to decorate another home, I am feeling so inspired!
Dear lovely Readers,
Please pardon our radio silence! After several rounds with technical difficulties and malicious code, we’re back with even more Bluegrass Style, so pour yourself a sweet tea and we’ll have new content before there’s sweat on the glass!
Braided hair is huge for this summer! Try out this easy to do, easy to wear style.
What you’ll need:
To style the half up and braided hairstyle you’ll need to have on hand some styling product (preferably a mousse and a hairspray), a hair straightener or curling wand, a comb, and a handful of bobby pins.
Step by Step:
1. One of the keys to styling the half up braided hairstyle is to create both volume and texture. You know your hair best, so we won’t wax go into great detail on this step, suffice to say that:
- if you have fine hair you should apply a styling mousse while your hair is damp. While drying it pull the roots forwards
- if you have thick hair and / or aren’t in need of don’t need of extra volume then spray your hair with hairspray to give it hold
2. Next get out your heat styler of choice (a ghd ceramic straightener works well, or a curling wand) and create some gentle waves all around the head. These only need to be very loose waves. If your hair is naturally curly rather than starting with straight hair just dry it to be 3/4 straight, leaving in some of your natural texture and curl. You should now have a head of lightly tousled, textured waves. Make the texture more akin to bed hair by teasing or back-combing the hair at the crown with a comb, but only a small amount – you can see from both the photos that this is a braided hairstyle that is more about texture then it is about volume.
3. You’ll need the bottom half of your hair flowing free and the top half parted into two sections. Begin by separating the top two sections with a deep side part – the side of your hair that you choose to part is up to you and will most likely work best if you select to part your hair as it naturally falls. Next, take the larger of the two top sections and create a French braid along the head at a diagonal angle (e.g. from the part-line on the right side of the head back towards the left ear). Don’t keep the braid too close to the head – remember it’s meant to be a little textured and messy.
4. The braid should only reach about half way down the head, with the rest of the hair hanging loose. After you’ve braided your hair half way down, secure the end of the braid with several bobby pins, crossing them over to ensure they stay in place. Repeat with another French braid on the other side of the head, using up the smaller top section of hair.
5. You should now have a half up hairstyle with two braids along the top section. If it’s looking too neat, tousle up the braids with the fingers to loosen the whole look up and give it that effortlessly free-spirited feel. When you’re happy with the style give the whole head a light spray with some hairspray to keep it in place.