image by dthoskins
I absolutely adore maxi dresses! Could there be a more easy, breezy clothing option for summer?
These hot, humid (thunderstormy) summer days have been perfect maxi dress wearing days. Here are a few of my favorite ways to wear maxi dresses:
- As a striking swim suit coverup
- With a denim jacket and low profile tennis shoes to run errands
- Decked out with jewelry and wedges for a date night
- With a linen blazer for that transitional season look
Things that I look for in a maxi dress:
1. Fun prints in flattering colors
2. A waist detail to show off body shape
3. Enough length (I’m 5’10” and don’t want it to look too short)
Here is one of my current maxi dress favorites that I sported for the Derby (Lily for Target!):
Do you love maxi dresses?
Here’s a little photo recap of our fun 4th of July:
A little family photo op on the porch.
The milder temps made it a perfect day to be outside, although we did skip the pool. The park for a friend’s birthday party was a great alternative.
We spent the day hanging out at the park and playing with friends and family. So much fun!
This little guy got to enjoy fireworks for the first time this year. He was decked out in his pjs and his headphones (just in case!) for the show at our neighborhood park. He loved them so much that we headed downtown to catch the city’s show.
Hope you enjoyed a fabulous 4th!
I love the 4th of July! Here are a few of my favorite things about this holiday:
- Grilling out! Everything tastes better on the grill. Tired of hamburgers or hotdogs? Try this delicious alternative (pictured above).
- Anything with flags. I love the flag cake recipe. It is a crowd-pleaser every time and it is very fun for the kids to decorate.
- Cute red, white and blue ensembles. Isn’t it flattering for everyone?
- Fireworks! We are going to try to make our local display this year.
What are your favorite traditions for the 4th?
Is there anything better than a summer tomato? Whether you get them at the Farmer’s Market or grow them yourself, tomatoes are the perfect addition to your summer table.
My favorite tomato salad has to be a Caprese salad. This assembled dish could not be easier or more delicious. You should give it a try for your 4th of July cookout.
What you’ll need:
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- black pepper
- kosher salt
- extra-virgin olive oil
Step by Step:
- Slice your tomatoes and mozzarella into equal slices, about 1/4 inch slices.
- Layer slices of tomatoes and mozzarella in an alternating pattern, adding a basil leaf between each onto your serving platter
- Drizzle the salad with extra-virgin olive oil
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Yum! A bonus for me this dish is naturally gluten-free. I also love adding a drizzle of a balsamic vinegar reduction.
What’s your favorite tomato dish for summer?