Bluegrass THREADS is thrilled to be celebrating 5 years! Five years feels momentous—we’ve made it!
This blog has been a source of personal inspiration and growth during the first five years of my son’s life, the loss of my father, job transitions, big moves and many of the other changes (good and bad) over this half decade.
image by Desarae Anderson Photography
To celebrate and commemorate this milestone, I want to highlight these top 5s—the most read and shared stories of the past 5 years:
Continue reading 5 years
Phew! May is a busy month!
While we love to celebrate Mother’s Day each year, my family often feels cramped be the other festivities of the month (weddings, graduations, spring festivals, etc.) This means that we are often working last minute to get together gifts for our mothers and grandmothers. We want to be thoughtful, but the gifts need to also be easy and done in a flash.
Here are some of my favorite Mother’s Day last minute gifts:
image by KGreeneOwens
This lovely box is filled with two plantable flowers. It was a perfect gift for my mother-in-law, an avid gardener.
Have a bit more time? Try one of these DIY carnation spheres. Very easy. Very impressive.
Take an hour to whip up a tasty treat. These chocolate madeleines are divine. Or enjoy homemade or store-bought cupcakes you can display for an afternoon cup of coffee and dessert.
Treat your mother or grandmother to lunch, whether it is homemade or not. Buy your food and re-plate at home. Everything looks more lovely on real dishes.
Treat your loved one to a pampering manicure or pedicure. You can even tag along for a fun afternoon together.
A summery scent, like Lilly Pulitizer, is sure to please at this time of year. I like the price tag, too.
My gift buying guide is two-fold: is it something the recipient would treat themselves to? and would I appreciate receiving it?
Personally, I’d take any of the above, but I am personally hoping for a clean house and some extra sleep.
Happy Mother’s Day!
With dry winter skin and hair taking hold, my like beauty routine needs a revamp during these months. Whether it truly treats my winter skin or simply boosts my mood, these are a few of my favorite products during the winter (or anytime):
Striking nail polish shades (image by dthoskins)
This season I’m partial to dark purples or steely greys. They pair well with dark hued winter clothing and are a striking contrast to fair skin.
Heavenly scents (image by dthoskins)
Nothing boosts my mood more than a lovely scent. This Carolina Herrera powder puff will leave you feeling rejuvenated and incredibly feminine.
Lotion (image by dthoskins)
MOISTURIZE! MOISTURIZE! MOISTURIZE! This drugstore lotion really does the trick!
Glo Minerals (image by AHOwens)
I am a HUGE fan of Glo Minerals makeup. In fact, that is all that I have worn for the last 10 years, partly because it goes on smooth every time. The pressed powder is amazing—it is truly three products in one (foundation, concealer and powder) and as a bonus, it never looks flakey. Perfect for dry winter skin!
Hair conditioning treatment (image by AHOwens)
A deep conditioning treatment is a must during the winter. Treat yourself once a week to a deep conditioning treatment. This is a drugstore find!
What are your winter beauty musts?
image by dthoskins
- This green smoothie recipe is one of our favorites. We promise that it is simply delicious (Katherine’s son calls it his “monster smoothie”!)
- Reduce cellulite and reveal glowing skin with a dry-brushing skincare routine.
- Need help with organization (don’t we all), try these tips and tricks.
- Diana swears by this HIIT regimen—doesn’t take any time to get your cardio in!
- Sometimes eating healthy is best accomplished by having food prepped—we love these recipes here, here and here.
- This stress-busting yoga moves are sure to get you on the right track!
What are your plans to start the new year off right? Remember one small change can make a HUGE difference!
These are a few of our favorite holiday things:
- Love these yummy cheese balls. So easy and perfect for any holiday fete!
- Our favorite holiday looks involve glitter and drama.
- Adorable diy sheet-music pinwheels would make a festive holiday table.
- Cute diy snow globes are adorable holiday touches in a bathroom or windowsill.
- Yummy black cherry salad is a great pre-plated salad for your holiday dinner.
- Red lips add a festive flair to any holiday look.
What are your favorite holiday things?
In honor of our favorite time of year, these are some of our favorite things:
image by dthoskins
- Keeneland opens Friday, October 4 and runs through October 26
- These pumpkin bars are the flavors of the season.
- Is there any fall look that’s complete without boots?
- Add some drama to the rich fall clothing colors with a bold, red lip.
- No October is complete without a trip to the pumpkin patch! Will you carve yours or do this?
- After carving your pumpkin seeds, enjoy this tasty snack.
What are your favorite fall things?
Wearing perfume is one of my favorite, easy mood boosters. I adore Beachy by Lily Pulitzer. It was a seasonal perfume in 2008, so I try to stock up whenever I find some at an outlet or clearance store. (Don’t you just hate when your favorite product is discontinued—-its always my luck!)
image by KGreeneOwens
Beachy has been my go-to summer scent for several years now, with its delightful citrus aroma. Anything citrus reminds me of the fun of summer.
Do you have a favorite summer scent? Why do you wear it?
The upcoming holiday has me craving all things red, white and blue. Here are a few of my favorites:
image by dthoskins
- I’m loving using these darling Kate Spade notecards, featured above. The beach is calling my name.
- These red, white and blue cocktails are sure to put the sparkle into any holiday cookout.
- I’m gravitating to all things nautical—these duds are the perfect way to show your patriotic spirit.
- Nothing is dreamier than an all-white look.
- A good red pout is can add a festive pop to any look, day or evening.
What are your holiday plans?