How is it that Labor Day has come and gone? While we may technically still have a few weeks left, in my mind, summer has concluded. It has been a busy end of the season for my family. Here’s what we’ve been up to:
Celebrating nine years of marriage
Starting Kindergarten (with no tears by either of us!)
Continue reading summer recap
polyvore by dthoskins
I am a fall girl. Perhaps it is a zodiac thing (my birthday is in October), but I absolutely love the autumn months. I love all cliché fall things from pumpkin-flavored treats to equestrian boots.
Here’s the rub – by this point in the summer, I am completely done with my summer wardrobe! By the first of August I am eager to transition away from my nautical inspired looks and bright Lily Pulitzer frocks. Instead, I am ready for new color palettes that evoke fall, but are cool and breezy enough for hot late summer days. My absolute favorite colors for this time of year are navy, pumpkin and cream.
How do you transition from your summer wardrobe?
I’m back from a lovely trip to Hilton Head Island, SC. Can’t wait to update you soon on my restful and relaxing week!
For those of you following along this summer, you know that it has been a rough summer for our family. Not to be melodramatic, but I’ve been sick for most of it. Thanks to new meds, I seem to be getting a little bit better every day.
All of the time stuck in bed meant that I was extra excited to getaway in late July to the Smoky Mountains. My little boy loves to visit the Inn at Christmas Place in Pigeon Forge, TN and they were having a fun week of Christmas in July festivities. The easy drive time and relaxing, laid-back atmosphere made it the perfect destination for a few days of fun. We enjoyed Christmas movies at the pool, milk and cookies with singing Santa, eating out, pizza in our hotel room, outlet shopping and lots and lots of swimming.
Here are a few photos of our fun:
A little time swimming and shopping (and Christmas cheer) makes all things better!
Wishing my sweet husband a very happy eighth anniversary! We have enjoyed an amazing eight years together and look forward to many, many more!
This weekend, we carved out an evening to take pictures at Waveland and to grab dinner at one of our favorite local spots, Palmers. Here are a few photos of our fun:
Love you, babe!
image by dthoskins
I absolutely adore maxi dresses! Could there be a more easy, breezy clothing option for summer?
These hot, humid (thunderstormy) summer days have been perfect maxi dress wearing days. Here are a few of my favorite ways to wear maxi dresses:
- As a striking swim suit coverup
- With a denim jacket and low profile tennis shoes to run errands
- Decked out with jewelry and wedges for a date night
- With a linen blazer for that transitional season look
Things that I look for in a maxi dress:
1. Fun prints in flattering colors
2. A waist detail to show off body shape
3. Enough length (I’m 5’10” and don’t want it to look too short)
Here is one of my current maxi dress favorites that I sported for the Derby (Lily for Target!):
Do you love maxi dresses?
What do you do when you get down? You get-away—even if it is just a day trip or for one night!
The start of our summer vacation has been full of sick doctor visits and a bit of stress, so it was time for us to hit the road. Over the weekend, we were in Louisville to celebrate our nephew’s second birthday and we decided to make a mini-trip out of it with an one-night hotel stay.
Sometimes we overthink vacations when we can get so much enjoyment and relaxation from a short trip, even one close to home. These short mini-vacations can help to hold you over for your next extended trip (ours is in a month!) and its certainly more budget-friendly.
We enjoyed some quality family time in the hotel pool, indulged in room service and crappy hotel television. We had breakfast at our hotel and did a little relaxed shopping. It was pure bliss!
What are your favorite mini-getaways?
image by dthoskins
Unfortunately, I have been battling illness for the last month (3 doctors visits, 2 antibiotics), so my kick-off to summer has been less than smooth. The usual excitement I feel for the start of the summer season simply hasn’t been there. My sweet family has been great about trying to provide some pick-me-ups while I’m on the mend. Here are some of my favorites:
- Fresh flowers: I love having fresh flowers around the house! An arrangement on the dining room table. A small vase placed in the bathroom on a silver tray. I’ll take them anywhere! Summer lends itself to bright color palettes. The bouquet my mom brought me is so vibrant and lush,
- A bath: I love a steamy bath with any LUSH products and lit candles. I especially love soothing bath time meditations.
- Fragrance: Those that know me well know I love perfume! Spritzing some on, even on these days I’ve barely left the house goes a long way to improving my mood.
- Exercise: A little walk or a quick workout can certainly be a boost. Even when I didn’t feel up to it at the time, a walk to our neighborhood park was just what I needed.
What are your favorite pick-me-ups?